Thursday, October 18, 2007

PAGE - Research & Gather Reflection

When I first decided to chose the topic of using totem poles for how they bring peace through art, I didn't understand anything about them. I initially thought that totem poles were just artistic sculptures made by native american's, to symbolize their families, and in memory if loved ones who have died. After reading up on totem poles from different websites and articles, I realized that they bring so much more meaning then what I thought. Some totem poles symbolize the great number of rights a person has aquired over their lifetime, to record and incounter with a supernatural being, or to symbolize the generosity of a person who sponsored a Potlatch ceremony. A Potlatch ceremony is a great and complex feast with deep meaning to coastal First Nations. I think the only trouble I really had with my research was getting different explanations for totem poles from different websites. They all told me different things, so I just used my judgement for which sources I trusted the most.

No comments: